Timeline: 9 Months Before Trip
- Apply for passports and/or review existing passports. Be sure passports will be valid for at least 6 months after your planned travel completion date. You can review passport requirements at:
Note: There may be an additional fee if you need to expedite issuance of a passport.
- Download and review our “Planning Ahead” document.
7 Months Before Trip
- Consult with a travel specialist about airfare options. Ask about special airline deals. Keep in touch with the travel consultant. Special discount tickets can sell out quickly.
6 Months Before Trip
- Download and review “Visiting the Orphanage.”
- Complete the Orphanage Visit Request letter for Social Welfare Institute (SWI) and foster family visits. A copy of the adoption certificate and visitor’s passports are required. Most provinces charge a filing fee which will be collected prior to traveling.